10 Low Cost Ways to Make Ottawa Home Buyers Say WOW!
These low cost home staging tips will make your home more appealing and are sure to have your potential buyers saying WOW!
For the Interior:
- Make it sparkle – Mop, dust, vacuum, wash windows and baseboards. Remember that people will look in your cupboards, under your sinks and in your closets.
- Pay attention to particular odors – the house should smell clean but not overpowering.
- Depersonalize the home (photo’s, collections, personal awards, electronics, collectibles etc.) to help make it easier for buyers to imagine themselves and their belongings in the home.
- Keep it up to date. You should think about removing or replacing worn or outdated furnishings and consulting with a professional staging company – they will give you design direction and advice on rental furnishings that can create an inviting home with broad appeal to a wide range of buyers.
- Throw some new artwork up on the walls to contemporize a room and add some colour!
- That squeaky door or chipped paint you’ve been avoiding? Fix it! Make your home a high-maintenance zone. Repair all those little odds and ends to add more value to your home.
- A fresh coat of paint never hurts! Repainting a room will quickly refresh a boring and dated room. Professionals say to choose a beige or taupe for living spaces and a neutral green or blue for bathrooms.
- Get rid of old carpets and consider refinishing your hardwood floors. Or – even a new area rug is a quick way to disguise old, worn floors.
- Buy new light fixtures, door hardware, light switches and outlets to renew the look of a room.
For the Exterior:
- Mow the lawn and trim the hedges – especially the ones that block your windows and diminish sunlight.
- Purchase a new doormat.
- Add a bright pot of flowers (or even a small evergreen in the winter) on your front porch.
- Replace any old, tarnished doorknobs on your doors and polish or replace your house numbers.
- Power-wash your driveway, sidewalk, and the exterior siding of your home.
- Edge the grass around walks and trees plus add fresh mulch to your planting beds.
- Purchase a new mailbox.
- Upgrade the outdoor lighting for a feeling of safety (yes, buyers drive by your home at night too) and to add dramatic effect.
- Clean your gutters.
- Place a seasonal wreath on your front door.